Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Soldiers

I've already mentioned that I live on the same block with BB (Netanyahu... the Prime Minister). So basically every time that I need to leave my neighborhood, I walk past two security posts. For people not used to Israel, there are many soldiers that routinely carry around very large guns (I think they are m-16s but really just don't have the gun knowledge to know for sure). I had really hoped that since I walked by every day, the soldiers would recognize me and we would learn each others names to be able to greet each other. While many said that this was complete wishful thinking; it has totally happened! Yesterday I had many errands to run, so I was going back and forth through the gates to the same exit (probable 2-3 times within a couple of hours). When I was going back in the second time I looked to say shalom (hi) to one of the soldiers sitting at the post and she asked me in Hebrew where I was going/what I was doing. I explained (in perfect Hebrew) that I lived on Balfour (the street we were on) and was going to my apartment. She said yom tov (basically good day) and I went back home. When I came back through the next time she asked me what I was doing. I wore out my Hebrew pretty quick and soon switched into English. I then got into at least a 20 minute conversation with the two guards about America, Israel, what I was doing living here for a year, some politics, music, etc. It was awesome! Since I haven't had Hebrew in a while I was rusty and explained to them that I would be starting ulpan in two weeks and would be able to speak to them in Hebrew soon. They are both 20 and the guy's name is Tomer and the girl is Nofar. I can't wait till they are on duty again :-). When I passed by the next guard who is on the other side of the prime minister's house, I said shalom to the guard and he asked me if the others had asked why I was walking back and forth. If anything... I feel unbelievably secure in my neighborhood. If anyone enters the area there is constant walky talky communication about who is there. This security guard (whose name is Baruch) immediately looked at my necklace, asked it if was Hadaya (a jewelry store in the old city), and told me that his wife worked there. I've now decided that we have to become best friends so that his wife can hook me up with some more Hadaya jewelry :-). We talked some more and I explained that I had just moved in less than a week ago which is why he didn't recognize me.

When I was walking home tonight (different set of guards), the one closest to my house said lyla tov (goodnight) and I heard a kesha song coming from the radio in his booth so told him that I liked his music. He started talking more and asked me if I had heard about the soldiers. I had no idea what he was referring to so he told me that recently a group of soldiers had posted a video on youtube where they were dancing to the song and that it had been all over news stations such as al jazera (i guess i missed that broadcast). He told me what to look up so of course when I got home I did and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoieZVapUww

That was a great end to my night, so I hope you enjoyed it too. To conclude... I freakin love my Israeli soldiers and my mission to become bff with them has officially gotten off to a great start.

Lyla Tov

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time and you have only been in Israel such a short time! Glad to hear you are in a good neighborhood which seems very safe. Hope your classes go well, too. Keep writing!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This is Jill, I've dug up my old blogspot account to comment on your adventures. Your soldier friends sound awesome! It's great that they are so open to talking. Are there many soldiers in the area?

    ReplyDelete